Sunday, June 15, 2014

Lazy and Trashy

L-A-Z-Y. Yup. That's me...and a trashy diet to go along with it. 
All I got in was about 6 (slow) miles. And a few good burgers. We did still hit our yoga class on Wednesday and one good  weight session, but I was appalled at my lack of running this week. When I compare myself to other "real" runners, many are super hard core and it can be intimidating. It goes like this:


"No excuses!" 
"Go hard!"
"You must stay healthy and fit ALL THE TIME."
"Vacation? No reason not to run and workout. Get fit in."
"School is out? Kid at home? Work around them!"

And you know what? These ideas aren't bad in themselves and I definitely live by these "mottos" often. But sometimes it just needs to take a backseat. 

Well.... I guess I threw all that out the window this past week. Because you know what? I'm real. I've got a son. Family. A j-o-b. A life outside of "training" and fitness. (But hopefully will have a j-o-b in the fitness field by next year!)
We hit Dollywood (a theme park in Tenn.) this past Saturday and had a blast! I will say we did stay hydrated well with water and did tons of walking. So kiiiiinda healthy. Just excuse the burger and monkey bread. Just being able to hang with my guys was a blast. We had no worries. And to me, that's priceless compared to a run! Although I still love my run. Don't get me wrong! 

One of the benefits of allowing ourselves to have a lazy week (as long as we don't make it habitual thing) is that we get the rest our bodies crave  and our minds desperately need. And you know what? The next week you're ready to rock! You'll more than likely be faster and stronger. 
So if you find yourself feeling guilty or ashamed because you missed a week (or two) of training because of real life, please don't beat yourself up. You are human. Life is too short to worry about how many miles you missed. 
You didn't miss anything. You'll be just fine my friend. 

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."
1 Timothy 4:8 

**What about you? Do you freak if you miss a week of training? Any cool theme parks your way? Summer is for fun!**

***Happy (& Blessed) Running!***

4 comments:

  1. The same here, I started this week really well and then kind of lost my motivation. It was a busy week, but I could have gone for a run or could have done a workout,if I REALLY wanted it. Oh well, next week will be better, right!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Yes, next week WILL be better! It's a deal k? Let's blog about it and stay on track. :-)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely! You can't be in training mode all the time. Burnout city!

    I am training for my 1st marathon. I am very excited & focused on it right now.

    I promised my wife I wouldn't sign up for another one right away.

    We all have families & jobs & other commitments. (Unless your a professional runner). Even then you still have families

    The key to a healthy life is Balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Balance. I also promised my fiancé after this marathon in Nov. (Then hopefully Boston in April) I'd slow my roll for babies. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for the love :~)