Saturday, April 19, 2014

REST


Rest, we all need it yet many of us tend to deny ourselves this true necessity for our bodies, minds, and spirits. 
Last week I worked seven consecutive days Monday thru Sunday (I mean even God rested on His seventh day!) the next day we drove 8.5 hours down to Florida for a funereal, stayed two nights, woke up, and drove straight back. We managed to get a run in while down there which was super cool, but on returning instead of taking the morning off before heading to work I went to the gym. Dumb. And I went exhausted but I was determined to get my workout in. Two lousy miles and a few dumbbell reps later I went home feeling worn. As I type this out to you today, I am worn. My head is pounding and I am every but of sexy and snotalicious. Oh, that's totally a word. 
My point here is, we reach a point where we have to tell ourselves to chill out. It can be so hard when we play the comparison game: 'Well miss thing went and ran a marathon, worked 10 days straight, and has 5 kids she home schools, and completed a mission on Mars, and grows her own garden, and she can even scrapbook!!' 
Ok. So that story was completely fictitious and way out there, but you catch my drift here. We tend to look at all the awesome and awe inspiring  things (things being a key word, meditate on that for a while.) they do and feel as though we don't measure up. I'm going to say this loud and clear because I need you (myself included...) to hear it:

Put down the measuring stick!

Because more than likely it is flawed and a bit too long. However, measuring progress is a good practice and an excellent way to stay motivated, if done properly. Measure yourself against your own self, own personal goals, and dreams. 

Some key ingredients for REST success:

• Know your body inside and out 
• Learn to listen to your body when it sends you worn out signals 
• Toss guilt in the garbage when you do rest 
• Enjoy rest!
• Make it 'active' or 'productive' by reading books on running (or whatever hobby/sport of your choice) and devoting       that time to learn something new. (You don't have to sit around and twiddle your thumbs. Unless that's what you just want to do.)
• Try something new like Yoga or gardening. Just be sure take on an activity that is light and relaxing.
• Stretch, foam roll, and TLC that body for 'active' recovery if needed.
• If you must miss a workout or run because your body is feeling worn, it is okay. Your body will not suddenly lose all fitness. I believe it's about two weeks worth of zero activity when your body begins to lose a substantial amount. 
⬇️ see below. 

Check out this well researched article on losing fitness:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/losing-running-fitness/

For all practical reasons it is extremely important for the avid runner and competitor to know their body and let it rest when it needs it. Particularly the marathoner. 

Check out 10 body indicators that it's time to rest for runners:

http://runnersworld.com/running-tips/time-rest

We can't very well run the race set before us ill prepared and overtrained. Rest is vital. 

***Is it difficult for you to rest? How do you spend your resting period?*** 

***Happy (& Blessed) Running (& Resting).***


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info! Since I have been trying to get back into shape, I feel guilty if I take a day off. I did that yesterday when I had neck pain. Thanks for reminding me that I need to "throw guilt in the garbage! "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) you're welcome! Hope your neck is feeling better!!

      Delete

Thanks for the love :~)