Saturday, February 9, 2013

What It Takes To NOT Give Up.

Hi!! I have a weekend off.  When I do get weekends off I cherish them with all my heart.  I love getting up early and just sitting on my couch with a cup of coffee and a blanket cozied up. Just thinking. Praying. Reading. Just time to reflect.  And now I have access to the library so I can keep you all up to date.  (I can not wait to get a laptop!  C'mon income taxes baby...) So what the heck have I been up to?  Running. A lot. Well that is until my treadmill broke down.  I guess you get what you pay for.  At first I was pissed.  Then sad.  Then depressed.  Then pissed again.  I tried in vain to fix the dang thing.  I kept thinking HOW in this universe am I going to train for the OKC Memorial marathon?  I thought about giving up...only for a split second.  But then I decided I would bust my butt in my living room; I'm sure looking like a total weirdo.   I've been doing high-knees, squats, planks, push-ups, yoga, anything and everything that will help me run my best.  Just because I can't run as much doesn't mean I can't do anything.  In the meantime I just do what I can.  It's not about what I can't do, but what I can.
 Whatever you can do, do your best.

So I've been having to get super crazy creative.  I run on my days off when the kid is in school and beg my sister to keep little dude on the rare occasion I have a weekend off (given this is a weekend off...oh sister J...).  And in place of my easy runs I've been strength training at  home along with some hill repeats up and down my driveway. 
Perfect analogy for my thought process after the mill's death.  I was stuck on "I can't do it" for about a week.

So, 10 times up and down this 10000% grade hill (my math may be a wee bit off here...ha)  makes one painful mile. Hill work + kid safe and sound at home =success. No treadmill no problem. Focusing on what I CAN do. Where there's a will there's a way. Let me encourage YOU!

Don't ever give up on a dream. Sometimes we just have to get creative to achieve it. ~ Jess
Photo: #fitfluential #getafterit #dontgiveup 10x up&down this 10000% grade hill makes 1 mile. Hill work + kid safe&sound at home =success. No treadmill no problemo. Focusing on what I CAN do. Where there's a will there's a way. Let me encourage YOU! Don't ever give up on a dream. Sometimes we just have to get creative.
Part of the hill.
Fitness Peeps Shoutout!
I've also been following some awesome challenges like:

Staci Bereyni on Facebook and Twitter.  She's a motivational coach and I really encourage you to follow her!  Her challenges have kept me pumped!  Thanks Staci!!

And the One Tough Mother Runner, Wendy,  has been a great source of daily encouragement and I started doing her #Planksalot challenge which has kept me focused on a strong core.  STRONG CORE=STRONG RUNNER! I would definitely encourage you to follow her on Facebook and Twitter as well!  She has some other awesome challenges going on as well.  Go check her out!
I'll leave you with this piece of advice:
You can not stop a determined woman.

 
**When life throws a wrench in your plans how do you cope?  What are some creative ways you've had to train for a marathon (or any fitness event)??**
Happy (&Blessed) Running!

ps-the kid's fun run is next Sunday! Woot! Frostbite Fun Run one miler!
If you're in the area I'd love to see you there! It's always a blast. 

4 comments:

  1. I do lots of pilates in my living room to help with my core and to strengthen other muscles as well. I enjoy walking, which does seem to help my endurance, and I bike at the gym (which you can't obviously do at home). Pilates is a big one for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Pilates DVD I enjoy! It definitely helps my posture too.

      Delete
  2. LOve this post and your positive attitude!! You will do great!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love :~)