Saturday, October 20, 2012

Crap Runs Are Good For You

So I've heard anyway. You need to have crappy runs to truly appreciate the good runs. But not when I am this close to the marathon!  First of all, it has been such a challenge to find the time for the long runs.
{I came across a pretty awesome runner/blogger. She's ran 20 marathons!  Here's her take on a bad long run HERE!}
Anyway, I think this run in part was so awful because I was starting out a little emotional. Had some things on my mind and my heart was hurting a little. It is so hard to leave emotions at bay. Usually a good run will help clear the matter and I guess other times it completely breaks you down. I've got to learn how to get my emotions in check.  I really think this was the biggest culprit.  Also had a terrible head cold this past week that I couldn't shake. Couldn't breathe. Cold air didn't help matters. Felt like my lungs were on fire.  And somehow I believe I was a touch dehydrated. Probably from the cold fighting my body....
So the first 6 miles I was okay to go.  Kept my pace steady.  Hit an easy trail along the way.  There will be 3 miles of trail on the OBX marathon.  Which I'm pretty certain I will be able to manage well given the DuPont Trail race experience.  Anyway, my snotty nose and congested head got the better of me and suddenly found myself ill like I was going to toss all my cookies.  Blame it on the drainage..  I know, ew, gross.  Sorry, but that's just how it was yesterday folks.  So there I was 6 miles away from my car...away from my warm, warm car... I had to walk...slow jog...crawl back to it.  BUT!  There was a happy ending as I was crawling my sorry booty back home.  I came across a running buddy of mine who I met through our local running club and she was on her FIRST run back from recovery.  And she looked like she was so happy.  This  made me stop and think.  I'm not injured.  Haven't been. (knock on wood) And here is this amazing woman just enjoying her run.  While I pouted and fumed all the way home. I came across these wise words on a running board and found them to be comforting:

"Someone once told me that it was the continuity of the shorter and mid distance training runs that really prepared you physically for the marathon and that the long runs only prepared you mentally. So don't worry about that "bad" long run.
I have only trained and run in one full marathon but based on that experience I can tell you that all of my training runs became nothing more than a barometer on race day. My longest run prior to race day was 20 miles. I ran it but really struggled to finish it. On race day it was a different ballgame. When I reached 20 miles I picked up my pace and never looked back!! It is amazing how much the "race" and the experience will help you finish the marathon. Good Luck."


So I finally made it to my vehicle and drove home and found this sitting at my doorstep:


Check em out HERE
Yay!  I was recently a winner from Premier Protein on Twitter.  Follow them HERE and 'LIKE' them on Facebook.  You won't be disappointed.  I can tell you I drank the chocolate milk right away and it was so good.  Definitely will be a recovery protein drink/food for me in the future. 


**Have you ever let your emotions get the better of you on a run?  And felt like total garbage?**

4 comments:

  1. I cannot say that I have let emotions get n the way of a run (lazy bum I am) but I know what you mean. When your heart and your head are full even every day things van be made more difficult. Much love though and I hope things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I'm sorry you had a tough run. It happens to all of us. Just be happy it happens during a training run and not during the race! I'm sure your cold played a big role. Take care of yourself and make sure you are well recovered for the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I'm glad it was during a training run and not a race! Thank you! I always enjoy following your blog by the way!

      Delete

Thanks for the love :~)