Saturday, September 1, 2012

So the Moral of the Story is and etc...

To make sure you arrive in PLENTY of time to register for a race. Even for a Fun Run!  Because apperently they start early.  We arrived with 10 minutes to spare and they said, "sorry but it started at 8:10" when the website clearly states 8:15.  So needless to say we did not get to participate in Hendersonville's Applefest fun run and wasted a drive yesterday for morning.  For nothing.  So strange because every race I've done has been prompt if not later.   I realize we should have arrived even earlier and not pushed too close to time but with a 7 year old that can be a challenge.  I felt like a terrible parent because he was very disappointed.  So we ran our own little mile and he ran about 20 seconds faster than his February time. He says the treadmill is easier and faster. Hah!  I feel ya buddy. The humidity is terrible.  So after running our mile I got him a Lego prize.  Much better than a silly, plastic medal anyway.  And there's always another fun run somewhere, another time.  Lesson learned.
At any rate, so for the rest of the day I did nothing about running and it felt good.  Training for this marathon takes up so much time and energy that I have been neglecting real world issues.  Like cleaning house.  Organizing the kid's room.  Enjoying a nephew's football game. (For the record I am NOT a fan of football but I DO love my nephew! ) 
You know real world issue like everyday life.  Friends and family stuff.  I will be so glad when this marathon is over!  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my training (for the most part) and am beyond thrilled to have this opportunity, but a big part of me misses everyday life.  The long runs seem to take up most of my free time. And I'm supposed to be strength training in my other free times but when I am supposed to have a life?  I'm not. Ha!  Anyway, so I've been slack on the XT and strength training yet again.  Man, it is such a challenge for me to work full-time, manage a home, raise my kid, run 30ish miles a week and get my other workouts in.  I think I need to re-read all my own Tips & Tricks again...somewhere I've lost my strength training mojo...
On another note, I just discovered that on October 27th there will be a 10k also for our local Flight of the Vampire and I couldn't be any more excited!  A chance to maybe redeem myself!  Also, I've been asked to participate in a 50k relay in Brevard's Dupont State forest... the only thing that concerns me is the possibility of twisting an ankle so close to the marathon.

Any thoughts on trail running when marathon training?  Especially for the klutzy runner??

Sorry this post a bit random...just had a few things on my mind. ;-)

Happy (&Blessed) Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love :~)