Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Marathon Training: It Ain't Pretty!

I have decided that marathon training in itself is not a pretty thing.  Especially right smack dab in the middle of it.  Week 11 and I am toast I tell you.  Burnt ugly toast with no jam.  But it IS a beautiful thing!  I've had my highs and lows thus far in the course of training.  I've seen my body magically transform from flabby to strong. I've had runs where I've cried and failed. And runs where I've smiled from ear to ear.  But through it all I've learned so much. And one of those things is that it isn't pretty!
  • I sweat. A lot.
  • Which in turn causes breakouts.  In places I didn't even think about.
  • I've gained weight.
  • I've lost weight.
  • Gained some more.
  • I'm hungry ALL the time. Just ask my poor co-workers.  (I'm now famous, when someone is hungry they say, "I'm pulling a Jessica...I'm huuuuungry!")
  • My house is a disaster area. Most of the time.  Who has energy to clean after 6, 10, 15, 18+ miles??
  • My skin has been freaking out all over.
  • My feet...oh my poor tootsies...let's not even go there. (think blisters..)
  • Everything revolves around training runs.
  • You're GI does all kinds of fun tricks. <- oh this one is my favorite.  -_-

But the beautiful thing about it is:
  • I feel strong.
  • I've made new friends.
  • I've learned so many life lessons.
  • I'm hungry ALL the time.  Thus, I get to eat all the time!
  • My kid has learned so much from my training.
  • I've gained new muscles I didn't even know about.
  • I feel the urge to share the running love with everyone.
  • I feel it's made me a more positive person all around!
  • Running provides time to reflect and pray.
And in turn, these things make me FEEL beautiful.  Even if I don't look it after runs.  ;-)

Oh and I'm loving the support and network of runners out there on social media!  I have to give a shout out to the @therunchat for my cool sticker!  Can't wait to slap that bad boy on my truck!

Look what I got in the mail today!


So what else is coming up??  Finally some races!

  • Oct 7 - Dupont 50k Relay in 18 days (EEEEEEK!) Going to check the trail out this Saturday with my relay partner.  Should be fun!
  • Oct 27 - Flight of the Vampire 10k in 38 days!! I have big plans to knock this one out of the ballpark!!!  (prayers lots of prayers)
  • Nov 11 - OBX Marathon!!!! in 52 days!  I am getting way excited.  Hotel is booked, shoes are bought! It's starting to feel real. 

**What's your favorite, ugly and beautiful thing about running?**

PS-What do you think about the marathon outfit so far?  Pic is kinda fuzzy. Been using the cell...I need a camera. (along with a laptop...I need a money tree!) I'm still undecided on how to carry my gear...do you carry your gear (water bottle, gels etc) on race day?


Marathon outfit! Pink and black ... of course!


Happy (&Blessed) Running!

6 comments:

  1. The ugly is easy! My toe nails are hammered and I have a thigh/hip that acts ugly! I also have the dreaded GI issues that I can't figure out:( The favorite? How running makes me feel!! The beautiful? I love everything about running...the feeling, the way it makes my body look, I feel strong, it's my voice, taking time out to pray, being outside, size 6 jeans, eating well and knowing I'm fueling my runs (NO guilt) I could go on and on...cause I'm a runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the ugly is easy isn't it?? ha! I love that strong feeling too. Nothing beats it. And Especially the taking time to pray... :-)

      Delete
  2. So true about marathon training! My skin also breaks out a lot, but I think that is mainly due to the humid/hot weather. The last couple of weeks it was much better though.

    I like to drink Gatorade and also carry my phone with me during the marathon, so I actually race with my hydration vest. I'm so used to it from the training runs, it actually calms me down. Nothing new on race day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never seen a hydration vest...may have to look into that! Nothing new on race day is correct! Except as you'll see on my last post...I was naughty and tried something new and by the grace of God it worked! :-P

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog...great posts. Yeah, there is so much good and bad about training for a marathon. Increase metabolism...good! Stomach distress half way through an 18 mile run...bad! Feeling that accomplishment of running so far...good! Snot rockets...ehh...could go either way. Anyway, good luck with your races and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha oh yeah those are all great joys of running!! Thank you so much!

      Delete

Thanks for the love :~)