You neglect to eat a healthy and mild dinner the night before. Then that's another painful story...do NOT eat junk food night before! Just take my word for it.
There a few tips to help make the long run your most enjoyable run yet!
A few things I've learned from trial and error that you may find useful as well:
- Always stay HYDRATED (a work in progress. You had to know this is one of my number one tips!) Hydrate well before, during and after.
- If your runs start creeping over an hour bring food or energy gels. Raisins seemed to work well. But my personal favorite thus far are the Clif Bar mocha energy gels. <--check them out! Yum! I cannot rave about these enough! They are easy on the stomach, digest well, gives you that quick burst of energy you need with natural, organic ingredients! Be sure to follow them with water.
- Bring flip flops to wear after a long run. Wish I had learned this a few months back!
- Bring a towel. Especially during the summer. Makes the ride home a little more comfortable. If you had to drive to your running destination.
- Consider investing in a visor, cap or bandanna to keep the sweat and sun out of your eyes! Sunglasses are also an excellent bug blocker!
- Sunscreen should be your next best friend. Not only to prevent sun damage but also wind burn....you know from running so super fast. ;-)
- Keep your toenails clipped! Sounds silly but if you do not you will have a booboo on your pretty little toe like mine! Except mine aren't so pretty. Ugh.
- LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! There will be days when your body just isn't fit to go. Take caution and pay attention to any tight muscles or sudden sharp pains.
For more awesome tips check out Active's article with 7 running experts on effective long runs!
*Just to reiterate, I'm not a professional. These are personal tips that have worked for me. Always seek your doctor before beginning a new exercise program or training plan. I have not been compensated in any way to review the Clif Bar products. I just love them!