Friday, July 27, 2012

17 Miles on 'ol Treddy Whaaaat?!

I ran seventeen miles on my treadmill today. I had a blast.

-_-

Out of sheer desperation and lack of other opportunities to get outside early (before heat set it) I had to get my long run done on the treadmill. I know what you must be thinking, I'm nuts. Yes I am. But let me say it wasn't all too bad until about mile 15 at that point I just wanted to be DONE.  Not the most fun two hours and fourty-five minutes of my life I admit.
There are perks of long runs on the machine, however.  For instance, I didn't have to stop at any red lights, stop signs or careless, idiot drivers trying to run me over.  I had Pandora Radio set to uplifting music. Also kept my mind entertained with prayer, imagining running the marathon course and just let my mind wonder off...I set my speed at a slow and steady 9:40 min/mile pace and put my body on cruise control.  It was also nice to run in a/c and not battle humidity.  I felt pretty good afterward. No pains or twinges.  I felt a little fatigued later this afternoon but I figure that's normal.  I also tried something new during this run. I usually go with Cliff Bar energy gels (I love my mocha gels!) but I had run out so I resorted to raisins. I would nibble on a few every 15-20 minutes or so.  Seemed to work well with no tummy issues.  Small and bite size. Easy to chew and digest. All natural sugar. Nature's original energy 'gel'.  A small step in teaching my body to digest foods on the run.  I may use this in the future...
I also learned something new about 'ol Treddy, it shuts off at 99:99 minutes. So I had to stop.  Then restart. That was a mental challenge because if the treadmill stops then logically I should be able to stop too, right?!  Wrong. I took the emergency clip out and put it back in and kept going.  I knew that to be fully prepared for this marathon I have to give each week of training 100% effort.  I didn't give it my all before my last 10k race and it showed. In a terrible way.

*And this is me. After 17 miles.
Lovely aren't I?*

Happy (& blessed) running!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job!! You are doing great with your training! This is for OBX? Man, my long run was 6.5 miles today... =/ I am feeling like I need to seriously step it up---and purchase a treadmill. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup for OBX! I had been fortunate enough to find a treadmill used for dirt cheap! Otherwise I'd be running in place at home lol

      Delete

Thanks for the love :~)